Dental implants are an innovative state-of-the-art solution to tooth loss. They permanently anchor tooth restorations, such as crowns, bridgework, or implant-supported dentures, in place. In addition to restoring your smile, dental implants deliver numerous other benefits. The highly skilled dentists at Parkhaven Dental Care in Plano, Gunter, and Sunnyvale TX, can restore your smile with dental implants.
What are Dental Implants?
Dental implants are actually small metal posts that sit below the gum line and anchor replacement teeth, including dental crowns, bridges, or implant-supported dentures. They are extremely versatile and can be used to replace a single tooth or an entire row of teeth. All that is needed to replace an individual tooth is one dental implant, an abutment, and a crown. When replacing multiple teeth, several strategically placed implants can secure a dental bridge or denture in place.
One of the reasons dental implants are able to anchor tooth restorations so securely is because they are placed directly in the jaw bone. The bone tissue forms around the metal implant through a natural process known as osseointegration. This process takes a few months and when it’s complete, the dental implant will be permanently fused together with the bone tissue.
Dental implants might not be an option for patients who do not have enough bone tissue in the jaw area. Unfortunately, bone loss can occur following tooth loss. The body naturally reabsorbs bone tissue that is not supporting teeth. The experienced dentists at our office in Plano, Gunter, and Sunnyvale TX, can determine if dental implants are a possibility for you.
Benefits of Dental Implants
There are so many benefits to restoring your smile with dental implants. They are a versatile, durable, and long-term solution to tooth loss. The benefits include:
- Restore Your Smile They fill in the gaps where teeth have fallen out or been extracted.
- Reduce Side Effects They minimize many of the unwanted side effects of tooth loss, such as facial sagging or teeth shifting out of place.
- Reduce Strain They reduce excess strain and wear and tear on teeth that had been compensating for missing ones.
- Improve Functioning They restore biting and chewing functions by replacing missing teeth.
- Preserve Bone They preserve bone tissue by preventing it from being reabsorbed in the body due to tooth loss.
- Versatile They can be used in conjunction with crowns, bridges, or dentures to replace a single tooth or multiple teeth.
Dental implants work by securing tooth restorations in place to fill in the gaps where teeth are missing or have been extracted. Schedule a consultation with one of our exceptional dentists to find out if you are a candidate for dental implants by calling Parkhaven Dental Care in Plano, TX, at (972) 416-2330. Appointments are also available at our office in Gunter by calling (903) 433-1512, or our Sunnyvale location by calling (214) 302-2486.